Active Charity Projects
Members of Fishnet Crochet use acrylic yarns or washable wool yarn or washable wool blend yarn to crochet many charity projects. We crochet:
- hats of all sizes
- mittens of all sizes
- car seat size baby blankets approximately 24” square or similar dimensions in a rectangular shape
- lap robes of approximately 42” square
- 7″ x 9″ blocks for 3′ x 4′ blankets (approx.)
Warm Up America, HugCrafters, & Spaulding Rehab
A 2017 CGOA Warm Up America Challenge encouraged us to contact HugCrafters and make blankets for Spaulding Rehab.
Hats, Hats & More Hats
Elizabeth was very busy in 2016 making hats in a stash-down of epic proportions. These went to the infusion lab at MGH Yawkey building, which has a free hat and scarf shelf; donations are for patients to enjoy and use. Lots of the nurses stopped while Elizabeth was there to thank her personally and tell her that it brings joy into the lives of people who are sometimes having a really hard time.
Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Baby blankets are blankets crocheted in six 6-inch strips round-robin style. At each meeting, we rotate the blankets
so that another 6-inch strip can be added. Completed blankets measure about 30″ x 36″.
Blankets are sent to a variety of charities, identified by Fishnet member Nancy. Blankets have gone to a variety of charities, depending on the need:
- Hurricane Sandy victims
- charities in Maine
- a shelter in Connecticut
- a hospital in Connecticut
- Warmer Winters in central Mass.
- Outreach for Appalachia
- the VA hospital in Tilton, NH
- a Leicester, MA Vet’s group
- Pine Ridge Reservation
Most of these blankets are sent through charity groups on Ravelry. Nancy often reports where a specific item has gone on our Ravelry forum, so check out her comments there!
At each meeting, you can take home a blanket and add six inches of crochet; Or start a new blanket (six inches by 24 inches in any stitch suitable for babies in any acrylic yarn) and bring it to pass on.
Additional charities our members have supported:
In 2015-2016, Fishnet member Deb collected items in our monthly meetings and distributed them to many many locations, including:
- Cor Unum Family Soup Kitchen, Lawrence MA
- Holy Family Hospital Methuen MA
- Lawrence General Hospital Lawrence MA
- Pregnancy Center Haverhill MA
- Prescott House Care Facility North Andover MA
- Saint Vincent DePaul at St.Michael Parish, North Andover MA
- Spaulding Rehabilitaion Center, Boston, MA
- Sunbridge Nursing Center, Methuen MA
- Veterans Hospital, Manchester NH
In 2014 and 2015 Warmer Winters was our pet charity, however, Pat, our Winter Warmers liaison, can’t always make it to meetings. You can still send directly to Winter Warmers (let them know the Fishnet Crocheters sent you!). See Warmer Winters for more information.
Red Scarf Project
Sends handmade red scarves to college students who have gone through the foster care system.
Mother Bear Project
Provides hand-knit or crocheted bears to comfort to children affected by HIV/AIDS in emerging nations.
Marathon Scarf Project
Old South Church gives blue and yellow scarves to Boston Marathoners at their annual Blessing of the Runners before the Boston Marathon each year.